Friday, April 24, 2009

Riding the Low-Carb Train

*Originally Posted on 3/19/08*

Here I am on day three of low-carb eating. I must admit; it’s not as bad as I expected. There are several very good things about this diet:

My BG has been relatively steady for three days: Monday highest = 158, lowest = 91. Tuesday, highest = 150, lowest = 88. Today (so far), highest = 123, lowest = 87. I’ve had no alarms from the CGMS at night, and I haven’t felt low once. The CGMS looks like a flat line.

My energy level seems to have increased. I’m still a little tired, but that’s because I didn’t get to sleep until after 1:00am last night.

The food choices are pretty great. I went to the grocery store yesterday and picked up lots of low carb goodies. Here’s what I’ve been eating (yesterday’s menu): Breakfast – 2 eggs, 2 brown n serve sausages, and coffee with sugar free creamer. Lunch – Salad with cheese crumbles, bacon pieces (the real ones, not the icky bacon bits), hard boiled eggs, and low carb dressing. Dinner – shrimp scampi appetizer, grilled salmon with lemon butter sauce, and green beans. For snacks I’ve been having sugar free pudding, peanuts, or salami and provolone roll-ups (a slice of hard salami and a slice of provolone, roll it up and eat).

I’m not hungry. AT ALL!

As you all know, ketones are bad for a diabetic. I’m so used to being concerned when that little strip turns dark purple. Anyone who has done this diet knows that ketones (when your BG is low) are actually a good thing. They indicate that your body is burning fat for fuel. This means that you’re not storing fat. Anyway, I saw my urologist yesterday (more fallout from the car accident described in my previous blog). Because I’ve had persistent blood in my urine, he always makes me provide a sample, which they then test for everything. As he’s going over the results, he says, “You’ve got trace ketones.” He knows that I’m diabetic, so I think he expected me to be concerned. Instead, I broke out into this big grin and said “REALLY!?!” I didn’t think I would transition into ketosis so soon, but I guess I’m almost there. When I explained why I had the ketones, he said, “Well, yeah. That’ll do it.” As a side note, there was no more blood in my urine, so it looks like my poor bruised kidneys have finally healed.

All-in-all, this diet is a lot easier (and better tasting) than any diet I’ve ever done.

Gotta head home to make Steak Au Poivre for dinner tonight ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment